Today the mud hit the ground on our horno project! First we chose the site, then leveled it out some. We put the adobe bricks in a square to test out the size and then moved them aside to put some mud mortar underneath and set them for good. We made two rows of bricks high and then filled in the middle with a layer of bricks on the bottom. On top of those we placed some rocks in mud and then covered those in mud and made the flat “mesa” on top. The rocks are to hold and release heat when we use the horno.
Next we will make the circle and start laying the horno bricks we made last Friday. We have at least two, maybe three more days of getting this horno going, so stay tuned!